Yours, Lan Zhan

Five years after Wei Ying's passing, Lan Zhan writes him a short letter.
.
.
.

Dear Wei Ying,

This morning, I woke up with the sudden realization that all memories of you I hold onto so tightly; your face, your laugh, your witty comments, your booming smile, are starting to fade. With every passing day, my fear of forgetting you grows stronger. These memories are all I have, as there is nothing else to remember you by.

There was, and is, no one else quite like you. You stormed into every situation at full speed; chaotic, fearless, intense, beaming. You were intelligent, powerful, empathetic, and so, so selfless. You were admirable, and the world let you down when they failed to recognize that. I hate it more than anything else, seeing you being wronged. Hearing made-up rumors about the Yiling Patriach, each one worse and more inaccurate than the one before.

Wei Ying, I am not a man of many words, and there's nothing I regret more than the things I left unsaid. My heart recognized it before my mind did. Your insistence, which was once a nuisance, became a constant in my life, something to look forward to. Before I knew it, all my days became intertwined with yours, and all my moments trailed back to you.

Meeting you may have turned my life upside down, but you reassembled the pieces into a painting more beautiful and vibrant yet equally familiar. I set up homes wherever you go, and with you gone, there's nowhere for me to return to.

I'm so, so sorry I couldn't have done more to save you.

Please come back.

Please.

Please.

Please.

I promise to stand by you through all, to trust you with my life, with all that my mundane self can offer.

Being with you feels doubtless. Safe. You are the most comforting presence I have ever known. You are the light of my life.

Forever Yours,
Lan Zhan

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Extraordinary You (2019) Review

The Platform (2019) Review