Ajin Ep 1 : FIRST IMPRESSION

Alright. A brief summary. The word 'Ajin' literally translates to 'half-human', which is what this anime is about; immortal creatures with supernatural abilities. I first learnt about Ajin from a Youtube video promoting new upcoming animes, wherein Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (ERASED) was also in it. These two animes caught my attention, and them being seinen earned them extra points.




The first thing I noticed (also the first thing that you would notice if you do end up watching this anime) was how.........odd the animation for the characters looked. They seemed as if they were stuck somewhere between two-dimensional and three-dimensional. I generally do not enjoy animes with an animation style I do not agree with, which is a really shallow quality to base an anime on. Do not do it my way, buddy.




The characters looked like the simulation in Japanese dance battle games. Like the projection of Hatsune Miku during her live stages. Only Hatsune Miku looks much better. Come on ya'll, Hatsune's concerts look bloody amazing. Watch 10 minutes of it on Youtube and you come out a different person.

Moving on from the animation, the foreshadowing in this is way too not subtle. If the script was a person, he was basically putting a sign up to the audience informing them that some shit was going to go down real quick, obviously involving the protagonist. Some scenes and lines were cliche, but the plot seems promising.

The protagonist's (Nagai Kei's) attitude changed from A to Z in a matter of seconds. Seeing how each episode only lasts for 20 minutes, I understand that there was hardly enough time for proper introductions into Kei's background and personality. I am yet to have a vague idea of what kind of person he is. I hope that he would have developed a solid personality by the fourth episode, since having a generic hero usually strongly affects the flow of the entire story.




From the looks of episode one, the plot would most probably be heading towards the direction of a classic game of feline and rodent (jk, cat and mouse), among Kei, the police, and also whatever underground organization who wants a piece of his ass for research purposes. Episode one went by very quickly without much explanation, so for the following episodes we would (I predict) have these things to look forward to:

⚫ An explanation as to why Kei's mom cut his best friend (Kai) off his life when he was young;
⚫ Kei discovering his special abilities as an Ajin;
⚫ The introduction of other Ajins, which hopefully include several hot badass girls who can stab me with the pointy ends of their leather boots;
⚫ Cruel, gory and in-depth documentation of Ajin experimentation, the Marvel way;
⚫ An acceptable scientific explanation as to why Ajins have come into existence and what it means for humanity;
⚫ Kai's background story so that we figure out why Kei's mom wasn't his biggest fan. Pretty sure it's not something as simple as him breaking her favourite vase;
⚫ And more scenes of the girl in the hospital, who was either Kei's friend or his sister. I do not recall. I was distracted trying to figure out if any of the voice actors sounded familiar.

I might continue this, I might not. But I most probably would, since I will be quitting my job in 3 days and will be spending the entirety of August watching Korean variety shows and Korean dramas. Not to mention other animes I absolutely need to watch: Psycho Pass, Parasyte, and Dangan Ronpa.

Hopefully you guys hear from me again soon. My blogging slump is absolutely terrible. As usual, you can leave me anime, book ,movie, and Korean drama recommendations in the comment section below, which will make me really happy, because I feed on attention.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extraordinary You (2019) Review

The Platform (2019) Review

Yours, Lan Zhan