Noragami Aragoto Reviews


Welcome back, mina-san! How did your Christmas go? To those who aren't familiar with this anime, let me clarify that Noragami Aragato is the sequel to Noragami, with Noragami being season one and Noragami Aragato being season two. For the sake of those who knows nothing about Noragami, here is a short passage on the general concept of the story, but not the plot.

This anime centers around Yato, a minor infamous God without a shrine who is poor and has a dark past. In Noragami, most Gods own at least one Regalia (Shinki), a spirit that was named by the God and now belongs to that God. Regalias, when not in battle mood, take on the appearance of humans but transform into different objects when called by their masters. Some transform into weapons like swords and guns, others into every day objects like a paper fan or even a piece of lingerie.

♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦

Before anything else, I would like to first state that this season was at least three times better than season one. There was a point where I almost quit watching season one, but Aragoto did its job well. I cried three episodes in a row and there were several moments where I thought to myself, 'Holy shit this is good'. Overall, I'm glad I didn't stop at season one.

When the story first started, it was as if nothing has changed. Yato is still poor, still getting yelled at by Yukine daily, still wears gym clothes, still freeloading at Kofuku's place, and is still recklessly spending ridiculous amounts of money on things he didn't need.




Hiyori started high school and her soul still slipped out frequently. Yukine now has a change of clothes, improved his fighting skills through Kazuma, and focused more on the things he has instead of dwelling on what he doesn't have, becoming a better person in general.


► Things I Liked 

1. For me, episodes 4 - 6 were exceptionally better than the rest because they were emotional. They knew the right spots to hit, and, well, tears were shed. The creator was right to focus half the season on Bishamon, and I'm pleased with how everything ended between her and Yato. Kazuma has a heart of gold and he deserves all the goodness in the world. The Bishamon arc is the reason why I can rate this season much higher than the previous one.



2. In season one, I felt like the number of characters was lacking and it bothered me because the series felt incomplete and rather empty. Back then, I wanted the Yato family to grow bigger because there wasn't enough diversity going on to spice up the story. However, season two made good use of all the existing characters and this problem went away. Now? It doesn't matter anymore. Yukine might be Yato's only Regalia, but one is enough to make a family. (Don't forget we still have good ol' Hiyori).

3. What impressed me the most was Hiiro's (Nora's) character development. Well, technically it wasn't a 'development' since she has always been this way, but Nora is now portrayed in a different light. I can honestly and shamelessly tell you that I hated her in season one, but now it hit me that I didn't completely understand her then. Season two; I began to appreciate what a complex character she is. She may be obsessive and have unhealthy emotional attachments to Yato, but I would go as far as to say that she is the reason he managed to stay alive for as long as he did.



4. The final episode caught me off-guard, but in a good way. I won't be revealing spoilers here, but it wrapped up the whole season pretty well and it contained just the right amount of tease to make sure fans come back for more, if we are lucky enough to get a third season.


► Things I Disliked ◄

After the Bishamon arc ended, things started getting messy. The Ebisu arc definitely had a plot which was above average, but it unravelled in an awkward way. The puzzle pieces fit in the end, but they felt forced. I can only explain this by using Harry Potter as a comparison, which was, yes, complex, and also, yes, had a hell lot of puzzle pieces, but they all fit perfectly and every transition went smooth. Noragami Aragoto wasn't as smooth, and it gave me the impression that the creator tried too hard, maybe by analysing what makes a story a good one, and trying to apply all those elements into his work.


► Things I Would Change About This Anime◄

I am not very satisfied with their representation of Gods. They are portrayed to be quite powerless without a Regalia, making them almost human-like. I believe that a hint of supernatural would improve this series, be it telekinesis, the ability to fly, or the ability to control weather. (Too much X-Men there...) They are Gods, after all. Bishamon is emphasized as the Mighty God of War, but her character isn't represented to be as strong as she sounds.

 ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦  ♦

Overall rating: 7.4/10

Final thing before I virtually bid my farewell, I would like to commend them on their good choice of opening themes for both seasons.



OP for Season 1: Goya wa Machiawase by Hello Sleepwalkers.

OP for Season 2: Kyouran Hey Kids!! by The Oral Cigarattes

If you've watch Noragami Aragoto, leave me a comment to let me know what you think about it. I would like to know how you viewed it. Also, what shows are you currently watching? Recommendations are welcomed because I am actively looking for promising animes to watch. Fingers crossed for a season three which exceeds expectations.




Anyone ever wondered what Yukine's name was in his past life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extraordinary You (2019) Review

The Platform (2019) Review

Yours, Lan Zhan